Stress seems to be at some point or another, a part of someones life. Maybe you’re stressing about a bill that needs paid, or a big test you have coming up, but how do you handle stress? Most people would probably say that their “go to” is food, unhealthy food! So here is a list of ten HEALTHY food items that help reduce stress!
1) Bananas! They are full of potassium and this is awesome for keeping your blood pressure low! When you stress, your blood pressure tends to rise, so here’s an easy fix!
2) Tea! This is great for calming your nerves, it makes you feel relaxed. It helps lower the stress hormone known as ‘cortisol’ in the body.
3) Swiss Chard! The magnesium in this plant, as well as other leafy vegetables also helps lower the stress hormone ‘cortisol.’
4) Fatty fish! This has the heart-healthy Omega 3 fats that can help keep you calm! Examples of these are salmon, sardines, and tuna.
5) Whole wheat pretzels! I always go for whole grain or whole wheat snacks. You will feel fuller from all the fiber, and on top of that , the carbohydrates give you an energy boost that causes your brain to release the ‘feel good’ chemical called serotonin.
6) Carrots! Eating crunchy foods helps beat stress. Carrots and celery are rich in nutrients and have very little calories!
7) Milk! This has tons of Vitamin D, Vitamin B, and bone building calcium! It can help relieve tense muscles, stick to low fat or 1%. Try drinking a glass of milk before bed to get a great night of sleep.
8) Yogurt! Skip the ice cream next time you are feeling stressed and try this! It’s way better for you and has a lot of the same benefits of milk!
9) Nuts! Stress runs you down which leaves you open to getting sick, almonds, pistachios, and walnuts can help boost your immune system. They are rich in vitamins and Zinc!
10) Chocolate! Research shows that dark chocolate may lower levels of stress hormones. Chocolate contains sugar, which is a carbohydrate so it releases the mood improving Serotonin! It’s ok to indulge, in moderation of course. :)